by Tisha Martin
One of my favorite things about being involved in PENCON is the traveling I get to do. Since August 2017, I’ve had the opportunity to travel three different times and promote our wonderful and informative conference for professional editors.
During one of my trips, I visited Our Daily Bread Ministries in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Have you ever been? It was first time ever at Our Daily Bread, and I was pleasantly surprised at what I learned while there.
- Our Daily Bread is more than just a radio and devotional ministry. It’s home base to several different operations.
- The staff are friendly, self-giving of their time, and you’ll leave feeling as if you’ve known them your whole life. Executive Editor Joyce Dinkins was a pure joy to meet and hear her editor’s and mentor’s heart.
- Their printing presses are amazing!
- Their lobby is gorgeous and full of rich history from around the world of how the ministry has influenced so many people and places.
- Warning: You can easily spend two to three hours on a behind-the-scenes tour (not saying that did or didn’t happen to me when I was there … My tour guide Jeri was spectacular and so patient with me as I asked a million questions about each process of the ministry).
- They send out over 40,000 mailings per month—per month—and use at least four semi-trucks when hauling to the shipping dock!
- And everyone who is interested in the publishing industry needs to visit Our Daily Bread!
Which is what we’re going to do before PENCON gets under way! I’m thrilled to announce that we’ve partnered with Our Daily Bread Ministries in their giving PENCON attendees a guided tour throughout the various spots in this large ministry.
Please mark your calendars for Thursday, May 3, 2018, for a grand tour of Our Daily Bread. We hope you can make it early in order to join us! From my experience, you’re sure to enjoy learning about this wonderful ministry that’s grown from Dr. DeHaan’s humble beginnings when he started out on radio in the 1930s. Prepare to be inspired and encouraged—what a great way to start the conference!
We still have open spots available! If you’re a professional editor, a writer who wants to become an editor, an editor from a publishing house, or a self-publisher, this is the conference for you!
Our faculty has over 100 years’ combined industry knowledge and education for you to glean from and implement into your own life, craft, and business. Register today at http://www.pencondeditors.com/register/.
Any questions? Feel free to email me at email@example.com. I’d love to share why PENCON is the right choice for you on this professional journey. If you are unable to attend PENCON due to financial reasons, please know that scholarship applications will be accepted through April 6, 2018.
Owner of TM Editorial, Tisha Martin specializes in historical fiction, light academic, and creative nonfiction. An active member of American Christian Fiction Writers and The PEN, she appreciates the writing and editing communities. Tisha is editor and proofreader for beginning and best-selling authors, professional editing agencies, and publishing houses. As Assistant Director of PENCON, she enjoys organizing the conference, networking with others, and creating advertising content for the Facebook and LinkedIn pages. Connect with Tisha on Facebook or follow her Pinterest board for writers and editors. Visit PENCON at www.penconeditors.com.